Names With Zing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 12:56:53 UTC 2007

The mother of a childhood friend was named Rowena. Also, Ivanhoe's
girl friend was named Rowena. Park Overall once had a continuing part
on some sitcom or other. As a teenager, I knew a guy named Maynard
Overall. He's dead, now. (There's nothing like having childhood
friends begin to die of natural causes to make you feel old.)

-Wilson

On 6/12/07, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Names With Zing
>
> That is not, of course, the subject head we
> were using a few days or so ago re the matter
> of names that live on in memory for their...
> well, for their 'zing'.
> 'Just watched the movie Biloxi Blues, in which
> several WWII era soldier have their initial
> introduction to in-the-flesh sex, and sex with
> a prostitute. The latter character's name was
> Rowena, which could be said to sound sort of
> prostitutey in a Biloxi sort of way.
> The actress who played Rowena was named Park
> Overall. Now _THERE's a prostitutey name for
> ya!!!
> (the other) doug

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens