Another kind of buddy

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 13 13:39:14 UTC 2007

Re ordinary "buddy."  It's still widely used in Tennessee in the vocative by friendly blue-collar types, esp. those over forty.  But only if you're not really buddies. To address someone as "buddy" if you're already buddies would be unusual.

  And the more you did it, the more "unusual" it would be.

  JL

Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Darla Wells
Subject: Re: Another kind of buddy

Now that you mention it, the person who taught me the expression was in the
military at the same time I was in the late 70's. I had not heard it in basic
maybe because I was in the last all female platoon to graduate at Fort
McClellan and our drill sergeants were too busy whining because they couldn't
hit the recruits any more to teach us anything useful like that.

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince. With science, you can turn a
frog into a Ph.D and you still have the frog you started with. (Terry Pratchett)