"guy''

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 15 14:07:45 UTC 2007

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> At 6/15/2007 08:13 AM, Jon L. wrote:
>> "Guy" has been America's slang/colloquial term of choice for male
>> human beings for well over a century; so more specific nuances are
>> inevitable. (Gays look for "guys." So do "gals." Is that
>> linguistically noteworthy? Dunno.)
>
> Is it linguistically noteworthy that it is also being used today to
> refer to females, including by females?  What date should one look to beat?

1963 or so. I remember arguments with sixth grade classmates about
whether "you guys" referring to a group of girls was inaccurate and/or
offensive.

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963