Bouey knife (Bowie knife) (Jan. 25, 1836)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Jun 22 17:16:51 UTC 2007

Barry's always informative posts caused me to search for Bowie/Bouey knife,
and as usually happens, I got sidetracked, this time to "toothpick."

The OED has currently a cite for a knife-as-toothpick dated to 1867.

Using the only database to which I have current access(N'archive), you can
find a cite for "Arkansas toothpick" in the _Madison(WI) Enquirer_, 13 April
1839, p. 3/col. 5

LAW AGAINST CARRYING DEADLY WEAPONS

    "The legislature of Alabama has just enacted a law against the
detestable practice of carring deadly weapons about the person.  It provides
that "if any person shall carry concealed arms about his person any species
of fire arms, or any Bowie knife, Arkansas toothpick, or any other knife of
the kind, dirk, or any other deadly weapon...."

Sam Clements