Notable Quotations of 2007 Sought

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 3 14:00:04 UTC 2007

In order to help me respond to media inquries, I would welcome any suggestions
of what are the most notable quotations of 2007.  Because of a particular
deadline pressure, responses by Sunday night would be particularly useful,
although responses after that will also be very welcome.

I am not necessarily looking for the most eloquent or admirable quotations, in
fact nowadays most of the more noteworthy quotations seem to be unadmirable,
even downright disgusting (think Rush Limbaugh on Michael J. Fox).

As a spur to thinking on this topic, below is the list I made up of most
notable quotations of 2006:

"America is addicted to oil."
-George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, Jan. 31, 2006

"I'm the decider, and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don
Rumsfeld to remain as the Secretary of Defense."
-George W. Bush, Remarks to press, Apr. 17, 2006

"I take full responsibility for the federal government's response [to Hurricane
Katrina]."
-George W. Bush, Remarks at Warren Easton High School, New Orleans, La., Aug.
29, 2006

"Yesterday, the devil came here, right here, right here, and it smells of
sulfur still today. The president of the United States, the gentleman to whom I
refer as the devil, came here talking as if he owned the world, truly as the
owner of the world."
-Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela, Address to United Nations, Sept. 20, 2006

"The joke is not on Kazakhstan.  I think the joke is on people who can believe
that the Kazakhstan that I describe can exist."
-Sacha Baron Cohen, Quoted in Chicago Tribune, Nov. 16, 2006

"The greatest thing about this man [George W. Bush] is he's steady.  You know
where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on
Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday."
-Stephen Colbert, Remarks at White House Correspondents' Association Dinner,
Washington, D.C., Apr. 29, 2006

"These broads [widows of World Trade Center victims] are millionaires, lionized
on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and
stalked by grief-arrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husbands'
death so much."
-Ann Coulter, Godless: The Church of Liberalism (2006)

"If you ain't first, you're last."
-Will Ferrell, playing Ricky Bobby, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
(motion picture) (2006)

"We lied morning, noon and night [about the economy in order to win the
election]."
-Ferenc Gyurcsany, Prime Minister of Hungary, Quoted in Independent (London),
Sept. 20, 2006

"When I was a kid I had no idea I lived in a mansion. Then I went to a friend's
house and I was like - 'Oh.' "
-Paris Hilton, Quoted in Times (London), Apr. 26, 2006

"The situation in Iraq is grave and deteriorating."
-Iraq Study Group Report (2006)

"Education, if you make the most of it, and you study hard, and you do your
homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't,
you get stuck in Iraq."
-John Kerry, Remarks at Pasadena City College, Pasadena, Cal., Oct. 30, 2006

"This is Michael J. Fox. He`s got Parkinson`s disease. And in this commercial,
he is   exaggerating the effects of the disease. He is moving all around and
shaking, and it`s purely an act."
-Rush Limbaugh, "Rush Limbaugh Show" radio show, Oct. 23, 2006

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986