"San Antone" antedating

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 3 21:44:03 UTC 2007

Black Texans, e.g. the mother of your humble correspodent, when
speaking formally, say "San Antonia" [saen at n tounj@]. Somehow, this
feature of her speech escaped my notice for dekkids. However, when it
did catch my attention, it solved the mystery as to why another black
Texan of my acquaintance, Charles White, always referred to a Texican
mutual friend, Federico Brown[sic], as "Fedreca" [fE drik@].

We used to joke that, whereas Gray and White were black, Brown was
actually brown, to the extent that whatever Anglo-Saxon progenitor
gave him his surname must have dated back many generations.

-Wilson

On 3/3/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "San Antone" antedating
>
> Last year Bill Mullins found some 1885's. This is slightly earlier:
>
>   1882 Frank S. Triplett _The Life, Times, and Treacherous Death of Jesse James_ (rpt. N.Y.: Konecky & Konecky, 1970) 110: San Antonio, or as the Texan affectionately and lazily calls it, San Antone.
>
>   JL

> Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin