"San Antone" antedating

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 4 00:09:50 UTC 2007

In a message dated 3/3/2007 12:15:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

Last  year Bill Mullins found some 1885's. This is slightly earlier:

1882 Frank S. Triplett _The Life, Times, and Treacherous Death of Jesse
James_  (rpt. N.Y.: Konecky & Konecky, 1970) 110: San Antonio, or as the Texan
affectionately and lazily calls it, San Antone.

JL

I should have killed myself years ago.
I'm Barry Popik, I have a website with lots of Texas terms on it. It's won
no awards--actually, I've never won any award.
Anyway, "San Antone" has been on my website for at least five months:
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/san_antone_san_antonio/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/san_antone_san_antonio/)

Entry from September 21, 2006
San Antone (San Antonio)

San Antonio has been called “San Antone” from at least the 1840s.

7 May 1840, Army and Navy Chronicle, “Texian Navy,” pg. 296:
Schooners:
San Jacinto
San Bernard
San Antone

January  1853, United States Review, “A Stray Yankee in Texas,” pg. 93:
When  we left San Antone in such haste, I engaged a friendly Mexican to bring
it along  as soon as he could, upon pack mules.

31 March 1854, New York Daily  Times, pg. 2:
“They give us fifty cent a pound for our butter in San  Antone!”

http://www.aol.com.