student-teach: "early" ex.

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Mar 4 15:52:57 UTC 2007

I don't know about the actual history, but I myself learned the curricular term "practice teaching" ("practice teacher," "practice teach") before I did the synonymous "student teaching" (etc.).  The grammar of the "practice-" phrases is different from the grammar of the "student-" phrases, but perhaps the naturalness and transparency of "practice teach" (which itself may not even be a back-formation) facilitated the seemingly-parallel "student teach."

--Charlie