February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 5 14:05:39 UTC 2007

I always said "Febuary" till second or third grade. Then they made me switch to "February."

  I hear both all the time.

  JL

neil <neil at TYPOG.CO.UK> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: neil
Subject: February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury

Is this an indicator of class or regional pronunciation?

As a limey, sometimes I say Feb-rury, and sometimes Feb-ru-ary.

"ATF knows tomorrow's February." He pronounced both rs, He hated it when
people made it rhyme with =8CJanuary=B9.
--Loren D, Estleman, =8CStress=B9, 1996 [Robert Hale, London, 1997, 253]

Neil Crawford

Never Miss an Email