February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 5 18:09:58 UTC 2007

I never received the strict correction of a grammario-facist, so I've said
"Feb-u-ary" for 32 years and don't see any end to my grammario-porn in
sight.

Scot

>From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury
>Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 06:05:39 -0800

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury
>
>I always said "Febuary" till second or third grade. Then they made me
>switch to "February."
>
>   I hear both all the time.
>
>   JL
>
>neil <neil at TYPOG.CO.UK> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: neil
>Subject: February = Feb-rury/Feb-ury
>
>Is this an indicator of class or regional pronunciation?
>
>As a limey, sometimes I say Feb-rury, and sometimes Feb-ru-ary.
>
>"ATF knows tomorrow's February." He pronounced both rs, He hated it when
>people made it rhyme with =8CJanuary=B9.
>--Loren D, Estleman, =8CStress=B9, 1996 [Robert Hale, London, 1997, 253]
>
>Neil Crawford

>Never Miss an Email
>Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get started!

simple tips.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline