hyperforeign 'jihad'

Wed Mar 7 00:09:49 UTC 2007

As i remember, the pronunciation of Arabic jiim can be either one,
depending on area; as I recall it, Moghrebi and the Levantine
dialects tend to have the fricative; Iraq and a lot of Saudi Arabia
the affricate; and Egypt & Sudan, /g/.  I think there are areas that
have merged this sound with IPA /j/ in the Gulf, too.

Paul Johnston