hyperforeign 'jihad'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 10 07:14:55 UTC 2007

"Jihad" as pronounced by Arabs speaking Arabic isn't relevant to
Matthew's observation regarding the pronunciation of foreign words by
Americans.

-Wilson

On 3/6/07, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: hyperforeign 'jihad'
>
> As i remember, the pronunciation of Arabic jiim can be either one,
> depending on area; as I recall it, Moghrebi and the Levantine
> dialects tend to have the fricative; Iraq and a lot of Saudi Arabia
> the affricate; and Egypt & Sudan, /g/.  I think there are areas that
> have merged this sound with IPA /j/ in the Gulf, too.
>
> Paul Johnston
> On Mar 5, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Matthew Gordon wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Matthew Gordon <gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU>
> > Subject:      hyperforeign 'jihad'
> > ---------
> >
> > Last night's 60 Minutes featured a piece on the use of the internet
> > for
> > terrorist propaganda. The reporter, Scott Pelley, repeatedly
> > pronounced
> > 'jihad' with an initial fricative which I suspect is not uncommon for
> > journalists. It was striking here, however, since everyone
> > interviewed for
> > the piece used the affricate pronunciation.
> >
> > You can watch the piece online:
> > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/02/60minutes/main2531546.shtml
> >
> > I'm assuming the affricate is closer to the Arabic which is why I'm
> > labeling
> > this an example of hyperforeignism.

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin