Safety Pin Stew

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 12 00:30:20 UTC 2007

Jerry E Kane wrote:
> A student in my yoga class brought/prepared a salad for an after class get
> -together.
> She refered to the salad as a "safety pin salad".  I had never heard this
> term before.
> The lady old me that the term was a derivation of "safety pin stew".  She
> heard the term was used in a children's book.  The story was about a stranger who
> comes to
> town and tells the citizens that he is going to make "safety pin stew".  He
> starts with
> a safety pin and then asks everyone to contribute the ingredients.
>
> I did a google search, with no results. Has anyone heard or used this term?

That sounds like the "stone soup" that I remember being the subject of a
children's book, back when I was a child. Yep...Amazon has, among other
retellings:
<http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Soup-Stories-Marcia-Brown/dp/0689878362/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-3846010-8464008>

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963