pronun. of "yahoo," n.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 12 15:50:39 UTC 2007

I see that the OED phonetic characters did not reach me, nor perhaps
others on the list.  (Next time I'll send styled text.)

But isn't the OED2 pronunciation "yah-HOO"?  Its stress mark is
before the "hu:".  The OED2 guide to pronunciation says "The
incidence of main stress is shown by a superior stress mark (')
*preceding* the stressed syllable" (emphasis added).

Joel