bureaucratese

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 14 10:38:19 UTC 2007

The other prime strategy is to blame the victim:  "I regret that
anyone was hurt/offended by what I did/said."  See Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff General Pace, on homosexuality.  Or Delta Zeta
sorority on expelling those who didn't fit from its DePauw chapter:

"Delta Zeta National apologizes to any of our women at DePauw who
felt personally hurt by our actions. It was never our intention to
disparage or hurt any of our members during this chapter
reorganization process."

(The NYTimes reports that "In addition to the apology, the sorority
posted on its Web site statements critical of the women forced out of
the DePauw chapter and of faculty members who supported them." DePauw
has now evicted Delta Zeta.)

Joel