bureaucratese

Wed Mar 14 05:59:50 UTC 2007

Isn't this true of American speech in general? The pattern I see is that
a person will say they are sorry for something (like being late) and
then proffer an excuse (there was a lot of traffic). A switch of voice
is not needed, but it seems like the same pattern of claiming to be
contrite without actually being responsible. BB