"Texican" (the differing definitions from political change)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 20 22:11:12 UTC 2007

Do DARE and the OED have proper revised entries for "Texican"? OED's  current
entry has a 1993 addition, but fails to show what's  really special about
this term.
My wife and I--as part of our tour of Austin-area restaurants--ate at the
Texican Cafe in south Austin. Excellent food. I wrote the "Texican" entry
(below).
"Texican" is an interesting term, and I don't know if there's a word to
explain words like this. Pre-1836, a "Texican" was someone of non-Mexican
ancestry living in Texas. For example, folks from Tennessee (such as  Crockett) and
elsewhere who came to Texas.
After 1836, "Texican" gradually (it's difficult to trace the exact date)
meant the opposite--a person of Mexican ancestry living in Texas (now
independent and later part of the United States).
Also (and again it's hard to trace exact dates), "Texican" meant a Texan
living in Mexico, as in the 1966 movie THE TEXICAN.
Finally (yet again, exact dates are difficult), "Texican" meant something  or
someone "part Texan and part Mexican."
Is there a term similar to this one? Again, is there a word for words such
as this?
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texican/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texican/)

Entry from March 20, 2007
Texican

A “Texican” was (pre-1836) a person from Texas (now commonly called “Texan")
 of non-Mexican ancestry. After Texas became independent and then a state
(post-1836), a “Texican” began to be used for a person of Mexican ancestry
living in Texas. Exactly the opposite!

In the 1966 movie The  Texican, the term meant a Texan (American citizen from
Texas) living in  Mexico—somewhat similar to the pre-1836 use.

In the 1970s, “Texican”  began to be used for “part Texan and part Mexican,”
 similar to the term _“Tex-Mex.”_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/tex_mex_cuisine/)

_Urban  Dictionary_ (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=texican)
texican
a Texan of Mexican ancestry
Los  Lonely Boys describe themselves as Texicans.
by Phlip Jun 29, 2004

_Texican Cafe  (Austin, TX)_ (http://www.texicancafe.com/south/index.htm)
Our Mission
The statehood of Texas joined two  cultures; The Mexican and the Texan, that
is why we proudly continue the  tradition and reinforce the concept with the
use of “Texican Café” as our name  since 1988.

It’s our commitment to our patrons to use only the finest  and freshest beef,
poultry, seafood, and produce to ensure the delivery of  palate pleasing
offerings of the highest quality.

Our chili peppers and  spices are native to the region of El Paso and is what
gives our food the  flavors of West Texas and Southern New Mexico Flair.

_Internet Movie Database_ (http://imdb.com/title/tt0061081/plotsummary)
Plot summary for
The Texican (1966)
Wanted north of  the border, Jess Carlin resides safely in Mexico. Then he
hears his brother was  killed in a gunfight with another man. Knowning his
brother never carried a gun  he heads north to find his brother’s killer. After
battling bounty hunters he  arrives in Rimrock, a town controlled by Luke Starr.
Starr is the man he wants  but he unable to find any evidence until he is
given an item found by his  brother’s body. Written by Maurice VanAuken
{mvanauken at a1access.net}

(Oxford English Dictionary)
Texican
[Blend of TEXAN a.  and n. and MEXICAN a. and n.]
= TEXAN n. (sometimes used more narrowly).
1863 Lawrence (Kansas) Republican 16 Apr. 2/4 (heading)  ‘Texicans’ and ‘
Injuns’ again. 1937 D. COOLIDGE Texas Cowboys x. 149  That’s one thing you’ll
never find around a Mormon town..you’ll never find no  Texicans. 1969 in Current
Trends in Linguistics (1972) X. 596 Texican, a  Texan of Mexican background.
(Wis.). 1978 Maledicta II. 172 While Texas  remained a part of Mexico, Anglo
settlers there called themselves Texicans to  distinguish themselves from
Spanish-speaking Mexicans.

ADDITIONS SERIES  1993
Texican, n. and a.
Add:  B. adj. = TEX-MEX a.
1982  J. D. MACDONALD Cinnamon Skin xvi. 152 ‘Friends,’ he said in a Texican
 twang, ‘the goddam compressor quit again.’ 1982 Washington Post Mag. 10
Jan. 32 No hamburger-and-American-cheese filling for its tacos and enchiladas.
No one-red-sauce-over-all combination plate. This is Mexican, not Texican.
1985  J. A. MICHENER Texas vi. 321 Texican military men..had already begun to
survey the only defensible structure in Béjar, the Alamo. 1986 Los Angeles
Times 25 Apr. VI. 11/1 Marix has quite a big menu including eight ‘Texican’
dinners, and many variants of tortilla-wrapped foods.

20 August 1835,  New-Hampshire Sentinel, pg. 3:
The schooner Columbus, 8 days from  Aranzas, reports that 200 troops had
arrived thither from Mexico on their route  to Texas; and that various bodies of
troops had passed on to this province by  the interior; so that we may expect a
Mexican and Texican battle or warfare.

13 November 1835, New Bedford Mercury, pg. 1:
The writer  states that there are about 500 Texicans in the interior battling
with the  Mexican troops;...

20 November 1835, The Farmers’ Cabinet (New  Hampshire), pg. 2:
Mexicans and Texicans.

8 September 1977,  Dallas Morning News, section E, pg. 20 ad:
Here’s a special offer on  Mexican food with the kind of taste you really go
for. It’s made Texican style.  Take two Patio dinners for this week, and take
two for next week. You’ll save  40c.

1 December 1977, Dallas Morning News, section E, pg. 6 ad:
Come and get it Dallas Mexican food lovers.
Big savings when you buy two  packages of Patio Enchiladas.
Patio is Mexican food with a Texican taste,  cause it’s made with a one of a
kind Texas recipe.