Fiji zigaboo---(role of "Igbo" tribe?)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 30 15:21:06 UTC 2007

Or "Ebo."

Ebo Landing, on the coast of Georgia, has an old and widely-told legend about it: A shipload of Igbo slaves committed mass suicide there, walking into the water in their chains, singing.

I've often wondered whether the apparent change in pronunciation represented by "Igbo" > "Ibo" replicates the process that altered OE "igland" ('island') to "iland."

--Charlie