Canadians

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 1 00:51:48 UTC 2007

When I was in the Army, our driving instructor used to caution us
against running over German "Peedee Stree Uns," It took me longer than
I care to recall to realize that he was merely jokingly mispronouncing
"pedestrians." Dumbest I'd felt since I failed to understand what
"anions" and "cations" were, on the physics final.

-Wilson

On 4/30/07, Dennis Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Canadians
>
> Cute. My father always warned against running over Presbyterians while driving.
>
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM>
> >Subject:      Re: Canadians
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >I can't remember how it started, but in my family
> >"canadian" is a deliberate replacement for "comedian".
> >  E. e., "You think you're a real canadian, don't you."
> >or "What a bunch of canadians."
> >

> >--- Marc Sacks <msacks at THEWORLD.COM> wrote:
> >
> >>  A long time ago I read something (in The New
> >>  Republic, I think) about
> >>  lawyers and judges in a courtroom somewhere
> >>  referring to Jewish lawyers
> >>  and clients as Canadians. Has anyone else run across
> >>  this?
> >>
> >>  Marc Sacks
> >>  msacks at theworld.com

> >>  The American Dialect Society -
> >>  http://www.americandialect.org
> >>

> >James D. SMITH                 |If history teaches anything
> >South SLC, UT                  |it is that we will be sued
> >jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com     |whether we act quickly and decisively
> >                                |or slowly and cautiously.

> >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> >http://mail.yahoo.com

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb