MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed May 2 02:29:39 UTC 2007

OK, I've polled a bunch of people I know (they're all on a private
email list for off-colour humour), and it seems I've identified the
prime vector for MILF: the movie _American Pie_ got mentioned as the
source by the majority of respondents. So now the thing to do would
be to find out what the writers had in mind and where they got it
from.

I wasn't able to phrase a question in such a way as to elicit a
theory of a phrase without suggesting the phrase. So now I'll ask
them all directly.

Incidentally, more of them said it stood for "mother" than for "mom".
One, an Australian, said it stood for "mummy" -- and he mentioned
_American Pie_ as the source.

Alas, I haven't seen _American Pie_, great cultural moment though it
is. And I doubt my wife will want it to be the next DVD we rent.

James Harbeck.