"American Taco"?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 2 15:13:51 UTC 2007

I know that Barry and others have touched on this point, but Rick's phrase "hot dog on a bun" mementarily unsettled me. To me, "hot dog" is the name of the sandwich itself, not the principal internal component--so I found myself envisioning a sausage (I'd call it a wiener or weenie) inside a bun inside a bun, a compound sandwich!

Isoglosses have probably been identified for wiener/weenie/frankfurter/frank/hotdog, but I wonder if they are current? Among 20-year-olds in Georgia, notwithstanding the Oscar Meyer jingle, the word "wiener" seems to be generally regarded as obscene, while "weenie" refers only to a dorkish person.

--Charlie