"American Taco"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 15:34:07 UTC 2007

When I was a kid in Saint Louis, a distinction between "frankfurter"
and "weiner" was maintained, at least among blacks. Relatively long
and thin wieners were used in hotdogs, whereas relatively short and
thick, Hebrew-Union-looking frankfurters were used in "frank(furter)
sandwiches." In both cases, a hotdog bun was used as the bread.

-Wilson

On 5/2/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "American Taco"?
>
> I know that Barry and others have touched on this point, but Rick's phrase "hot dog on a bun" mementarily unsettled me. To me, "hot dog" is the name of the sandwich itself, not the principal internal component--so I found myself envisioning a sausage (I'd call it a wiener or weenie) inside a bun inside a bun, a compound sandwich!
>
> Isoglosses have probably been identified for wiener/weenie/frankfurter/frank/hotdog, but I wonder if they are current? Among 20-year-olds in Georgia, notwithstanding the Oscar Meyer jingle, the word "wiener" seems to be generally regarded as obscene, while "weenie" refers only to a dorkish person.
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb