Baltimore Chop (1901); "a la Maryland" (Maryland chicken)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 21 06:07:07 UTC 2007

I noticed that GenealogyBank has added the 19th century Baltimore Sun, so I
looked for "Baltimore Chop" (HDAS has 1910) and "a la Maryland"/chicken
Maryland/Maryland chicken. No "Maryland end" that I can see.
22 September 1901, Philadelphia Inquirer, pg. 13:
Jennings began the second inning with one of those old Baltimore chop  hits.

(OED)

Maryland, n.

 U.S. Maryland end, the hock end of a ham.
1859  _J. R. BARTLETT_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b.html#j-r-bartlett)  Dict. Americanisms (ed. 2) 265  Maryland end, said of the hock of the
ham. The other is  the Virginia end. 1903  S. CLAPIN  New Dict. Amer. 270
Maryland  end, in Maryland and Virginia, the curious name given to the hock end
of a  ham.
5. Maryland chicken (also chicken à la Maryland, chicken Maryland) Cookery,
seasoned chicken  coated in beaten egg and breadcrumbs and fried.
1894  N.Y. Evening Post 20/6 Baked  chicken with a sauce a la Maryland is
delicious for a luncheon or a course at a  spring dinner. 1896  _F. M. FARMER_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-f.html#f-m-farmer)  Boston
Cooking-School Cook Bk. xvii. 222 Maryland Chicken... Dress..two chickens. Sprinkle with
salt and  pepper, dip in flour, egg, and crumbs. 1906  _A. FILIPPINI_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-f.html#a-filippini)  Internat. Cook Bk. 125
Chicken Maryland... Arrange six thin slices fresh broiled  bacon on top of the
chicken and, lastly, place six freshly prepared crisp corn  fritters..around
the dish and serve. 1969  B. SIAS  Chicken Cookbk. 48 Chicken à la
Maryland..is said to have originated in St. Clement Island and was later  introduced into
Maryland by Lord Baltimore. 1998  Herald (Glasgow)  (Electronic ed.), The
biggest waste of an exotic fruit since  fried bananas with Maryland chicken.
7 December 1884, Wheeling (WV) Sunday Register, pg. 2:
A great deal of terrapin is served _a la_ Maryland that in  Baltimore
epicurean circles would be repudiated as a "very mean  imitation."
27 May 1887, Baltimore (MD) Sun, supplement, pg. 1:
Spring Chicken, Maryland Style;
9 July 1898, Wilkes-Barre (PA) Times, pg. 7:
MARYLAND CHICKEN.
A Dish Which May Well Be Called the True Masterpiece of American  Cookery.