Re: [ADS-L] metonymy- TRY

Wed May 23 19:45:35 UTC 2007

Good point: the weather only tries, it doesn't hope or intend. A rather
limited sort of personification, then, but personification nonetheless.

But doesn't "personification" apply equally well--or even better--to the
artistic contexts? Is "metonymy"--the substitution of a part for a whole--really
appropriate for "the novel hopes ..." or "the painting intends"? As usually
defined, metonymy refers to a use in which the part (e.g., WHEELS) does not bear
an agentive or instrumental relationship to the thing it stands for (CAR) but
is an inalienable part of it or is at any rate physically associated with it
(SUITS for BUSINESSMEN).

In the artistic contexts, the work of art is more of an instrumental noun,
and the weather is sort of an agent.