stars and ours

Sarah Lang slang at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu May 31 16:21:22 UTC 2007

As I just wrote to Dennis . . .

Could it have been the person from Georgia's speech? [I just remember
an argument, and now I'm worried it was "I" and "pie" or
something . . . but in the spirit of learning . . . (sorry to bother)]

Could the SAE speaker have monophthongized the diphthong /aɪ/ to [aː]?

[phonology naked-in-front-of-the-class nightmares, all over again]

Thanks,
S.

On May 31, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Marc Sacks wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Marc Sacks <msacks at THEWORLD.COM>
> Subject:      Re: stars and ours
> ---------
>
> Sara Lang wrote:
>>
>> (I'm still happy I don't consider "my" and "eye" to
>> rhyme though--Brown's MFA poetry program was a very interesting study
>> in pronunciation.)
>>
> I'm afraid I'm completely baffled by this one; I can't imagine
> pronouncing
> either of those words so it doesn't rhyme with the other. Sara, can
> you
> illustrate these pronunciations somehow? Thanks.
>
> Marc Sacks
> msacks at theworld.com

Graduate Student, PhD Program
Department of English