"Elope" from a nursing home?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 16 17:33:39 UTC 2007

And James Harbeck wrote:
>New to me. They probably decided on that word because they didn't
>like the tone of "escape."

And John McChesney-Young similarly.

This occurred to me later also -- "escape" too vividly conveys the
notion that the "inmate" is "confined" (which of course is true of
these "residents"), and the company of administrators of nursing
homes (and of juvenile "placement" facilities) decided to replace it
with the less negatively-connotative "elope".

Joel