New "lumpkin," "girney"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 21 16:06:49 UTC 2007

My first thought on seeing a post on "lumpkin" was

    "... White-socks my little lad, and old Fatty Lumpkin"

from The Lord of the Rings. Fatty Lumpkin is Tom Bombadil's horse. OED
Online defines it as

    dial.    A clumsy, blundering person.

Very far from the sexual sense, but both clearly related to "lump". "-kin"
is a diminutive suffix, of which the OED says in part

    The suffix has only a limited use in English. It appears to occur first
in some familiar forms of personal (chiefly male) names, which were either
adoptions or imitations of diminutive forms current in Flanders and Holland,
where such forms appear already in the 10th c.

This is clearly its origin in the term of endearment for a child.

m a m