antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Oct 3 16:42:16 UTC 2007

A similar thing happens in early New England literature, right?  I recall
being puzzled as a teenager by Whittier's "harrd hearrt" (close, I think,
though I don't have the poem, or its title, handy).  Fifty years and
linguistic training on, I assume it was meant to indicate the low central
vowel /a/, with of course no /r/ at all, but when I was young and naive, I
pronounced it [hOrd hOrt].

Beverly