antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 3 20:03:38 UTC 2007

Why would he represent a low-central vowel with +rr? It seems to me more
like an arrhotic speaker trying to represent a rhotic pronunciation.

I just tried to Google the phrase, but the only hit was your post of
2004-02-17 (archived at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0402c&L=ads-l&P=5368 ).

"harrd" has a lot of porn hits. "harrd" with "Whittier" had one from Google
Books that looked promising, but it turns out to be an OCR error for
"shared" (
http://books.google.com/books?id=R33LsbqlTd4C&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=harrd+whittier&source=web&ots=cHqbzGy7MH&sig=nM1vJu2uq4IdHaPc24vGzyfvvhE
)

Back to work now.