"Gray Rape" (from NY Times)

Sarah Lang slang at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Oct 16 17:01:50 UTC 2007

I have always understood "date-rape" to be rape committed by someone
who was, however briefly, known to the victim. So, from my
understanding, if the victim met someone at a bar and had one drink
with him or her that was dosed: date-rape, or if you like,
acquaintance rape (I would use the former in colloquial speech). If
that victim were dosed by someone she or he never actual met or spoke
to, I would call that just plain, old-fashioned rape, even if a "date-
rape" drunk was used.

Grey-rape, whether a ridiculous or harmful term or not, seems to be
referring to the "we were both really drunk, I didn't want to before
but . . . wait, what happened?" sort of territory. If only one party
were intoxicated and therefore unable to consent: easy (well easier).
But if both are it's . . . kinda grey as neither are legally able to
give consent.

(I think I'll end there, as rape is simply a far, far too complex
word, historically, legally, rhetorically, etc. to really do it and
its meanings or usages justice.)

S.