Balderdash & Piffle (UNCLASSIFIED)

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 19 20:36:33 UTC 2007

The folks at BBC/Balderdash & Piffle asked for help antedating certain
words, which information would then be used to update the OED
references. In fact, I think I first heard of it from something Fred
Shapiro posted here.

Easily amused by the sorting and surfing, I checked a few out and sent
a few antedate bits in and made the list. If you didn't send one in
=to the Balderdash & Piffle folks=, you wouldn't be on the
acknowledgments page. Simple.

That said, if you look at the backdating the OED online's showing for
Bloody Mary [ref:<http://www.oed.com/bbcwords/bloody.html>], your
references backdate theirs.

Maybe you should let the OED know.

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers
and the terminally curious <http://writers.internet-resources.com>