Wet Burrito; NYC Deli Food Joke - "72 hours later, you're hungry again"

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 21 04:41:33 UTC 2007

WET BURRITO
I did a post on the "wet burrito" ("burrito enchilada style"), if OED
or DARE is interested.
WET BURRITO--17,200 Google hits
WET BURRITOS--9,990 Google hits
BURRITOS + ENCHILADA STYLE--740 Google hits
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/wet_burrito_burrito_enchilada_style/
NYC DELI FOOD JOKE -- "72 HOURS LATER, YOU'RE HUNGRY AGAIN"
The Sunday New York Times Magazine has a lengthy story on the nearly
vanished Jewish deli in New York City. This quote is almost always
attributed to the late NY Times writer Richard F. Shepard, but I tried
many keywords in the NY Times archive (I have access through the
Westbank library in Austin) and couldn't find it in his work. The
quote does appear in the following Google-restricted book, but that
dates from 1982.
(GOOGLE BOOKS)
Live and Be Well: A Celebration of Yiddish Culture in America
by Richard F. Shepard, Vicki Gold Levi - Social Science - 2000 - 198 pages
[ Sorry, this page's content is restricted ]
(Originally published in 1982 -- B.P.)
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/72_hours_later_youre_hungry_again_joke_about_eating_deli_food/
Entry from October 20, 2007
"72 hours later, you're hungry again" (joke about eating deli food)
The old line about Chinese food is that it isn't filling: "A few hours
later, you're hungry again." New York's Jewish delis are known for
their overstuffed sandwiches, prompting the joke: "72 hours later,
you're hungry again."

The line is often attributed to the late New York Times cultural
reporter Richard F. Shepard, but it appears in a 1972 New York Times
story by food writer Raymond Sokolov.

New York Times
March 7, 1998
Richard F. Shepard, 75, Editor And a Writer for The Times
By ERIC PACE
Richard F. Shepard, a retired New York Times writer who was also a
former cultural news editor of The Times and was known for his amiably
down-to-earth manner, which included meeting friends at a Theater
District cafe he called ''the Polish Tea Room,'' died last night at
his home in Fresh Meadows, Queens. He was 75 years old.

31 December 1972, New York Times, "Filling finger food" by Raymond
Sokolov, pg. SM25:
Many rude things have been said about Jewish food—that it is the major
cause of heartburn in the New York area, that, after eating it, you
get hungry 72 hours later and so on. These slurs most often come out
of the mouths of people stuffing themselves with Jewish food.

Save The Deli
New York Times: Summary of the Deli Conference
Thursday, August 2nd, 2007
(...)
The food historian Joel Denker began his presentation by invoking
Richard F. Shepard, a New York Times reporter who has since died and
who once said, "I love Jewish food, but when you eat, 72 hours later,
you're hungry again."

New York Times
A Counter History
Published: October 21, 2007
(...)
Or as the New York Times reporter and deli aficionado Richard F.
Shepard used to say, "I love Jewish food, but when you eat it, 72
hours later you're hungry again."