Jerry's the comedian wife

Sun Oct 21 15:15:17 UTC 2007

"Awkward" is no more than a wastebasket category for 'I don't like it'--in this case because the possessive marker is farther away from the phrase's head than LU finds aesthetically pleasing. Shock one ah songoo, as they say in French class.

MY aesthetic sense tells ME that neither "the comedian Jerry Seinfeld's wife" nor "Jerry Seinfeld the comedian's wife" is "awkward": they are far more elegant (and concise) than "the wife of the comedian Jerry Seinfeld." But I would never patronize LU by accusing him of advocating prolix and inelegant syntax.