This is almost an eggcorn

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Oct 30 14:11:19 UTC 2007

I wouldn't assume that the two words are "merged"--just that they sometimes get confused as to their spelling. In some dialects (like mine!), "addict" is pronounced the same as "attic," so it might easily be misspelled that way. But no pronunciation-spelling will produce "addict" for "attic," since there are no dialects (as far as I know) that would normally add a [-t] to the end of "attic." That's all I meant. (I'm not discounting other explanations for "addict" in place of "attic.")

--Charlie