This is almost an eggcorn

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Oct 31 13:56:25 UTC 2007

From:    Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>

> I wouldn't assume that the two words are "merged"--just that they
> sometimes get confused as to their spelling. In some dialects (like
> mine!), "addict" is pronounced the same as "attic," so it might
> easily be misspelled that way. But no pronunciation-spelling will
> produce "addict" for "attic," since there are no dialects (as far as
> I know) that would normally add a [-t] to the end of "attic." That's
> all I meant. (I'm not discounting other explanations for "addict" in
> place of "attic.")

Gotcha. I just figure that if there's no sound difference between the
two, and people know of both words but don't necessarily know what they
mean, then we might well expect both to end up substituting for the
other here and there.

(I see this in my 6yo's use of know and no, for example.)

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida