Fwd: Mixed Bathing (East Texas); Mixed Swimming (West Texas)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Sep 1 14:09:52 UTC 2007

Perhaps people aren't familiar with the term because the phenomenon is no
longer uncommon.  But "bathing/swimming" and "bathing beach/swimming
beach," "bathing suit/swim(ming) suit," "bathhouse/changing room," etc. are
all familiar variants to me.  The only exception I can think of is *bathing
lessons.  And "bathing beauties"?  Terrible term, but very familiar all
through the last half of the 20th century--not so now?

I don't see any of this as a DARE issue though, since I don't think it's a
dialect matter.