one-time "whenever", live

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 2 02:46:55 UTC 2007

Just listening to Red Sox 22-year-old rookie "phenom" [that's
PHEE-nom] Clay Buchholz in his post-game interview after throwing a
no-hitter in his second appearance in the major leagues.  He was
asked about a great play behind him by second baseman Dustin Pedroia
who took away what looked like a sure hit in the seventh inning and
he responded along the lines of

"Yeah, whenever he made that play I knew I had a shot [at the no-hitter]."

Not surprisingly, he sounds Southern (to me), and sure enough his bio
lists him as born in Nedarland, TX and as having attended Angelina
JC, also in Texas.

I've read about (and even written about) episodic "whatever", but
I've never actually heard one live as far as I can remember.  Pretty
neat!

LH