1842 Re: [ADS-L] antedating of shindig (1846)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Sep 2 15:03:34 UTC 2007

preantedated already onlist:
[....] It appears that the earliest appearance on record of the word at
present
is 1842? 1837: [a watchman,] hearing a bit of a shindy at a house
occupied by a
couple of 'darkies,' [entered, and] found both husband and wife pretty
well 'how
come you so' New York Times, January 9, 1837, p. 3, col. 1 (Note that this is
not the present-day NYTimes, which began publication in 1851.) 1842: [trial
arising from a brawl in a dance house, 9th Ave. and 42nd St., December 13,
1841:] this 'shindig' as it was called, was a scene of great violence,
riot and
disorder. New-York Daily Tribune, May 10, 1842, p. 3, col. 1 I have a
note that
Dictionary of American English has something, perhaps under "shindy", from
1829.
GAT
George A. Thompson Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre",
Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.