Texas lawyer jokes (three kick rule; skid marks)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 4 02:03:08 UTC 2007

Has Fred researched these Texas lawyer jokes? Maybe someone with FACTIVA can
find earlier cites? They don't seem to go back very far.
You know: "How can you tell the difference between a dead lawyer in the road
and a dead armadillo in the road? There are skid marks in front of the
armadillo!" The joke probably started with a dog or a snake being run over.
The "three kick rule" joke--in an early version--involves Johnnie Cochran
hunting in Montana.
Somehow, these jokes got applied to Texas, as all rural/hillbilly/redneck
jokes are.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/difference_between_dead_armadillo_and_dead_lawyer_in_road_the_armadillo_has/
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texas_three_kick_rule_lawyer_joke/
 Entry from September 03, 2007
Texas Three-Kick Rule (lawyer joke)

Texas does not have a "three-kick rule." The internet-popular joke has it
that some big-city California (or New York City) lawyer is duck hunting in
East Texas, and...well, see below for the rest.

It's been called the Texas Three Kick Rule, Louisiana Three Kick Rule,
Arizona Three Kick Rule, Montana Three Kick Rule, Minnesota Three Kick Rule,
Tennessee Three Kick Rule, and the "three kick rule" of a lot of other
places. The joke dates from the 1990s.

Laughing at Lawyers <http://www.power-of-attorneys.com/laughing.htm>
A hotshot New York City lawyer went duck hunting down in South Texas. Before
long, the lawyer shoots and drops a bird, but it falls into a farmer's field
on the other side of the fence. As the lawyer begins to climb over the
fence, an elderly farmer drives up on his tractor and asks the lawyer what
in the blue blazes he thinks he is doing. The lawyer responds, "I shot a
duck and it fell in this field and now I'm going to retrieve it."

The old codger replied, "You better hold your horses there sonny. This is my
property and you're not coming over here."

The lawyer, more than a bit miffed at the old farmer's gruff attitude,
responded, "Look old timer, I'm one of the best trial lawyers in America and
if you don't let me get that duck, I'll sue you and take you to the
cleaners."

The farmer smiles at the lawyer and says, "Apparently you don't know how we
do things down here in Texas. We settle disagreements like this with the
Texas three kick rule."

The lawyer asks, "What in the heck is the Texas three kick rule?"

"Well," says the farmer, "first I kick you three times and then you kick me
three times, and so on, back and forth, until someone gives up."

The lawyer quickly thought about the proposed contest and decided that he
could easily take the farmer and agreed to abide by the local custom. The
farmer then slowly climbed down from the tractor and walked over to the city
feller. His first kick planted the toe of his boot into the lawyer's groin
and dropped the lawyer to his knees. His second kick nearly wiped the
lawyer's nose off of his face. The lawyer was now flat on his back when the
farmer's third kick to the kidney nearly caused the lawyer to give up. The
lawyer then summoned every bit of his will and managed to get to his feet
and said, "Okay, you old coot, now it's my turn."

To which the old farmer coolly replied, "No, I give up. You can have the
duck."

Google Groups: rec.humor<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.humor/browse_thread/thread/40e06ba7bd94dcc6/df1511ca43460d38?lnk=st&q=%22three+kick+rule%22&rnum=154&hl=en#df1511ca43460d38>