Is the OED using a citation from James Russell Lowell that is a plagiary?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 7 17:46:01 UTC 2007

Thanks, Ben.  Many ingenious gentlemen wrote for encyclopaedias
(iae?) at the time -- I have learned that Robert R. ('Chancellor')
Livingston of New York wrote on American agriculture in the first
American edition of the Edinburgh Encyclopaedia, about 1830.

Joel