Runglish

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 13 20:52:30 UTC 2007

Bol'shoe spasibo, Darya! I'm rather disappointed, though. Since 1960,
when I saw the movie, whose title I've forgotten, and learned the
song, as one of the Vorob'i - the khor-meister was the very modest
prepodavatel', gospodin Vorob'ev - I've thought that Moldovanka and
Peresyp were a couple of girls, but I couldn't understand how one of
them could have a masculine name.

-Wilson

On 9/13/07, Darya Kostina <tamarra at ngs.ru> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Darya Kostina <tamarra at NGS.RU>
> Subject:      Re: Runglish
>
> And oh yeah, Moldavanka and Peresyp are two blue-collar
> seaside districts of Odessa )
>
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:06:30 -0400
>
>   Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >-----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society
> ><ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Runglish
> >

> > How about [fstr] in _vstrecha_? Or do _biznesmeny_
> >prefer _miting_, nowadays?
> >
> > Sineet more za bul'varom
> > Kashtan nad gorodom tsvetet
> > Nash Konstantin beret gitaru
> > I tikhim golosom poet:
> >
> > Ia vam ne skazhu za vsiu Odessu
> > Vsia Odessa ochen' velika
> > No i moldovanka i _peresyp_
> > Obozhaiut Kostiu moriaka
> >
> > Chto znachit _peresyp_? It's not in Smirnitskii.
> >
> > -Wilson

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens