Name of God

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 14 14:28:26 UTC 2007

An oddity, FWIW: The Hebrew  _HWHY_, in large brass letters that
"shine like Klondike gold," to quote a blues line, are over the
entrance to the Catholic Old Saint Louis Cathedral in Saint Louis -
not to be confused with the Saint Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. I
have never in my life heard even the slightest breath of rumor as to
why this should be the case.

-Wilson

On 9/13/07, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Name of God
>
> At 9/13/2007 07:55 PM, Gerald Cohen wrote:
> >The explanation I was once given is that it's inappropriate to spell
> >out the entire word, since the piece of paper it's written on might
> >later be thrown away or otherwise destroyed. And that would be disrespectful.
> >
> >Gerald Cohen
>
> _The Jewish Book of Why_ says it comes from the 3rd commandment, and
> then asks "But what is God's name?"  Yehova is never to be pronounced
> (except by the High Priest when officiating at Yom Kippur) or written
> out.  Adonai is only to be spoken in prayer.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens