Semantic drift: "khaki"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 19 20:34:37 UTC 2007

OED surprisingly lacks "chino" as an adj., though I'm in agreement with Wilson that "chino" and "khaki" are more or less the same color, "chino" being closer to a very light gray - if I had to say.  Neither khaki nor chino, to me, can typically have any noticeable green in it. That would make it "greenish khaki," or whatever.

  OED's def. of "chino," n., indirectly supports the color ref.: "A cotton twill cloth, usu. khaki in colour." The primary ex. is from as late as 1943.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Semantic drift: "khaki"

The color of the tan shirts worn with the old "Army green" woolen
class-A uniform, ca.1958-1968, was officially designated "suntan." To
the casual glance, it was clearly not the same color as khaki.
Nevertheless, it was permitted to wear the shirt from the khaki
uniform with the greens. I'm completely unfamiliar the terms "class B"
and "class C," but this doesn't mean that these were not official
terms. The Army-green uniform was rarely - so seldom that I've found
out that this was an official term only this week - referred to as
"class A," but the others were uniformly referred to as
"khakis" and as "fatigues" by the troops. There was also a Marine
Corps-like uniform known as "dress blues," but I've seen it only in
pictures, worn by officers and high-ranking NCO's on official
occasions. Info from Google seems to imply that the Army-green class-A
uniform is soon to be replaced by a new Army-blue class-A uniform
distinct from the (now-obsolete?) dress-blue uniform.

FWIW, "Khaki" and "chino" are the same color to me.

-Wilson

-Wilson

On 9/16/07, Dave Wilton wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Dave Wilton
> Subject: Re: Semantic drift: "khaki"
>
> Yes, I interpret this as a reference to the summer khaki (tan) uniform, not
> the green "Class A" uniform. Khakis were often worn with a tie and jacket
> ("blouse" in army parlance) and the cut would have been almost identical to
> the green uniform, differing only in color and weight of material. The use
> of "dress" is probably to distinguish it from the green fatigue uniform.
> Khakis could be worn when traveling, especially to and from Vietnam. Also,
> the Louisville incident doesn't give a date, but if it was in summer it
> reinforces the idea that this is the uniform he's describing.
>
> There's an image of the US Vietnam-era khaki uniform on this page:
> http://www.merhabaturkey.com/1BARTLEYMindex.html
>
> But while searched Google Images for that, I also ran across this, a Reuters
> photo in China Daily of a soldier in camouflage uniform described as wearing
> "khaki." Although, at least one of the colors appears to be khaki:
> http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-04/02/content_841908.htm

-----
-Sam'l Clemens