Heel or Boot (end slice of bread); NewspaperArchive not updating?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 24 04:13:05 UTC 2007

In my family, we've always used the utterly prosaic "end." I never
heard "heel" until I was in the Army, ca.1959. The person who used it
and then had to explain to me what it meant was from Michigan. I've
never heard "boot" in this sense.

Over the years since then, I've asked around and I personally have no
reason to consider "heel" to be peculiar to Texas (n)or "end" to be
peculiar to either Texans or blacks. I have the impression that "heel'
is more common than "end." But, of course, the number of people that
I've asked represents only a very tee-nine-she portion of the
population of this country.

-Wilson

On 9/23/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Heel or Boot (end slice of bread); NewspaperArchive not
>               updating?
>
> Speaking as (at least) one Texan: I've heard "heel" in that sense all my life; I have never heard "boot" used in that sense.
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens