southmore

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Sep 24 15:07:10 UTC 2007

Right, Arnold!

Can we ever be certain whether a poet or songster puts two words into rhyming positions because they "sound alike" in the artist's speech (or the artist thinks they do), or they merely sound close enough to be passable for the purpose (by the unstated rules of the craft)? Yet so much of the phonological history of the language relies on supposed rhymes (and inferred puns).

--Charlie