southmore

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 24 21:42:09 UTC 2007

And there are those cases in which words don't rhyme at all in the
standard language, but become exact rhymes as a result of the singer's
dialect:

I used to search all night for you, baby
Knowing that my search would always end in _vain_
I used to search all night for you, baby
Knowing that my search would always end in _vain_
'Cause I knew all along, darling,
That you was hid out with your other _man_

-Wilson

On 9/24/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: southmore
>
> Of course.  Inexact rhymes also proliferate in folklongs and ballads, C&W songs, and rap lyrics. My young colleague Shigeto Kawahara studies the "rhymes" occurring in Japanese rap lyrics (amply citing the work of ArnoldZ).
>
> The advantage of examining rhymes in popular genres is that the rhymes are likely to be "intended" (within some parameters of permissibility). With cononical poetry, we tend to credit a creative avoidence of exact rhymes in favor of ostensibly subtler effects.
>
> --Charlie

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens