Whiz & names (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 26 22:14:31 UTC 2007

"Do a little dance! Sing a little song! Get down, tonight!" But,
seriously, folks, since some music calls for a particular dance,
sometimes, "Hi, you want to dance this dance?" is at least possible:
"No, thank you. I don't know how to dance the cha-cha-cha. I know only
how to bend over and rub my butt against your crotch as you mime anal
sex with me." [writes Wilson, deep greenish-brown with envy and
wishing that he was under seventeen instead of over seventy.]

-Wilson

On 9/26/07, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Whiz & names (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> LH,
>
> I do have "do a dance," but it does not have the same range of
> occurrences as "dance" but pretty much that same as "dance a dance."
> Pretty much since I have the following judgments:
>
> Hi; you want to dance (OK)
> Hi; you want to dance this dance (bad)
> Hi; you want to dance this next dance (OK)
> Hi you want to do this dance (awful, unless I am inviting someone to perform)
> Hi; You want to do this next dance (???, probably no good)
>
> dInIs

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens