BBC excerpt

Sat Apr 5 02:24:41 UTC 2008

I, too, missed that. I agree it looks odd now that you mention it.

I think I assumed the "child" part came from "the Christ child" for el
nino and the "girl" part was just indicating the feminine ending.
Perhaps carelessness on the part of the writer.

Wikipedia says that la nina means "the little girl." Is that because
"nina" refers only to girls of a young age? BB