Dieing languages and "easy to learn" spelling

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Sat Apr 12 05:08:42 UTC 2008

James Harbeck wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> Subject:      Re: Dieing languages and "easy to learn" spelling
>
>>    Will I be forced to spell "egg" and "leg" as if they rhymed with
>> "beg?"
>
> What's the difference between them in your dialect? I've only lived
> where they do rhyme, and I've managed not to notice the distinction
> in the speech of those who might pronounce them differently.

"Egg" and "leg" rhyme with "vague."

I'm from the Catskills area of New York State  For rock climbers, I can
narrow it down more:  the Gunks.  (Shawangunk Mountains -- locally
pronounced more like Shwangum.)  To really narrow it down:  Ulster
County, between Kerhonkson and Accord.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."