Dieing languages and "easy to learn" spelling

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Apr 12 10:06:16 UTC 2008

In Standard American English (i.e., what I speak) "egg" is /eyg/ (as
is /leyg/), but "beg" (like "peg") has an E (epsilon). I've been
forced to live where they rhyme for the last 40 years or so. Time to

dInIs

PS: I probably don't want to hear other definitions of Standard
American English.

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
>Subject:      Re: Dieing languages and "easy to learn" spelling
>
>>     Will I be forced to spell "egg" and "leg" as if they rhymed with
>>"beg?"
>
>What's the difference between them in your dialect? I've only lived
>where they do rhyme, and I've managed not to notice the distinction
>in the speech of those who might pronounce them differently.
>
>James Harbeck.

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English